We conduct class meetings to help build a positive community in our classroom. Class meetings allow us to plan and make decisions, to “check in,” and to solve issues or raise awareness.
Class meetings are held once a fortnight.
Some of the benefits with having class meetings include:
• Students being involved in constructive decision making.
• Students having a voice that directly affect how they want their class to be.
• It creates a climate of trust and respect between students and teachers
• It helps build self-esteem by having students involved in decisions.
• Kids develop a sense of responsibility for their actions
• It enhances speaking, listening, leadership skills.
• Students support each other as each person takes charge of their own learning
• Students do most of the talking and I act as facilitator.
• Students work together to improve the learning environment, friendships and cooperative group work